In our previous blog post, Accent Pillow Buyer’s Guide: Find the Right Pillows for your Home or Office, we shared some basic design principles with you that will aid you in accentuating your space with decorative throw pillows. The article outlines how to choose the right shape, size and style to accompany your interior, exterior or office setting.
Once you have selected the right pillow, it’s time to consider placement. Allow us to help. Below are some guidelines that will help you to quickly transform your space.
Identify an Anchor Color
Every room has a focal point. If you are designing an empty space, select the primary color for your design scheme. And if you are updating a space with existing décor, take time to survey your surroundings. Note the color of the furnishings, walls and floors. The goal is to create a cohesive look based on your main accent colors.
If you are going for a subtle look, you’ll want to focus on pairing your home accessories with a pillow or pillows of a similar shade. Of course, you can always add a new color to the scheme, but be sure the accent pillows are used to add a pop of color and don’t end up stealing the show.
Start with Square Pillows
Since square pillows are the most popular choice for throw pillows, they are easy to find and come in standard sizes; making them a versatile home decorating accessory. Square accent pillows are a go-to look for both amateur and seasoned designers. So, whether you are a paid professional or a do-it-yourself decorator, we recommend you stock up on these design staples.
Search for Sets
Pillows with parallel patterns in different hues are an outstanding combination for any space. Likewise, pre-designed sets with matching color schemes and designs (such as those that may come with a bedding set) take the guess work out of pillow selection. And, for larger spaces and furnishings such as sectional sofas and don’t be afraid to mix multiple sets.
Synchronize your Accessories
What better way to compliment your stunning decorative pillow than to pair it with a blanket or rug made of the same fabric, color and/or design. Collections made for your sitting room, office or outdoor space can help you to blend colors and tie in accessories seamlessly. For example, Metallica collection offers complimentary pillows to blend easily neutral tones. In addition, to pillows, this collection is complete with beautiful blankets and rugs and a stylish ottoman to complete the look. as well as opposing colors (black and white with gold and silver accents) to provide a bold and cohesive look.
Add in Alternative Shapes and Sizes
Decorating a space is an art form. While these principles will point you in the right direction, you’ll want to create an environment that is comfortable for you to live or work in. So, don't be afraid to get creative, just be sure to avoid creating a space that is busy or cluttered. Be intentional and used these principles as a guide so your guests can enjoy the design as much as you do.
Purposefully Place your Pillows
- While pillows can be arranged in a variety of ways, we recommend using square pillows on sofas, beds and hard back chairs. These pillows may also be placed near a coffee table or in a corner to create visual appeal and a cozy place for kids or pets to snuggle up and enjoy.
- Bolsters looks great on a large chair with a square pillow or at opposite ends of a daybed. They are also a sound choice for leather sofas as they do a better job of staying in place on a leather surface where square pillows may slip.
- Lumbar pillows help to provide back support and work well on King and Queen-size beds as well as on sofas or in armchairs.
- Round pillows can help to soften chairs and sofa with straight lines. A flattened version of round pillows can also provide a comfortable cushion for wooden or metal chairs.
Pull these principles together with these 4 steps:
Choose Cohesive Color Combinations - For maximum visual interest and impact, choose one cohesive color palette and stick with it. To create ultimate aesthetic influence using accent pillows, you'll want to use a monochromatic combination (three shades, tones and tints of one base color) for a harmonious look. Or you may want to pair your pillows with complimentary shades (two colors that are on opposite sides of the color wheel). Together these two colors provide a high contrast which makes both colors appear brighter.
Pick your Prints Wisely - One simple print, one busy print, and one solid.This is a basic formula that’ll help you narrow down your options. Another way to think about it is — one small print, one big print, one solid. Your busy/large print should be on your largest pillows or the pillow that is front and center, as this print will usually set the tone for not just your pillow arrangement but the rest of your room. Plaids and stripes work well as small/simple prints.
- Style with Symmetry - whether styling a sofa, chair, window seat or bedroom set or bench, pay attention to the patterns and fabrics you are layering together. Keep things clean and simple to avoid a busy and chaotic look. Conversely, a symmetrical arrangement looks polished and purposeful.
- Design for Comfort - Pillows are accents pieces and should not overpower a room or your upholstered furniture, so while multiple pillows fit nicely on your sofa and Queen or King size bedroom set, there is such a thing as too many. Make sure the placement of your pillows is as functional as it is aesthetically pleasing.